Independent Research Firm Releases 2017 Enterprise Data Virtualization Wave Report – What’s New?
Forrester Research recently published The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Data Virtualization, Q4 2017 report. The firm profiled 13 vendors in this report. The last Wave on this topic was published in March 2015 with 9 vendors. Here is an account of what’s changed in the last two-and-a-half years.
Data Virtualization Market has Expanded
According to this Forrester report, the enterprise data virtualization market has expanded along multiple dimensions – customer adoption, more industries, more use cases, new players, and acquisitions.
- More customer adoption – Forrester states customer adoption of data virtualization has been gaining momentum. In 2017, Forrester profiled 2,106 global technology decision makers for its Data Global Business Technographics Data and Analytics Survey, and found that “…56% of global technology decision makers in our 2017 survey tell us they have already implemented, are implementing, or are expanding or upgrading their implementations of DV technology, up from 45% in 2016.”
- More industries – Forrester states that in its early years, data virtualization was primarily used in financial services, telecom, and government sectors. In the last 5 years, however, Forrester has found significant adoption of data virtualization in insurance, retail, healthcare, manufacturing, oil and gas, and eCommerce verticals as well.
- More use cases – Further, Forrester found that among the customers who have been using data virtualization, the deployment has increased from single-use case, primarily customer analytics, to a broader enterprise-wide use involving multiple use cases such as internet of things, fraud detection, and integrated insights.
- New players – In the 2017 Enterprise Data Virtualization Wave report, four new vendors have been included implying, in our opinion, expanding data virtualization market.
- Acquisitions – In signs that the data virtualization market is maturing, TIBCO Software recently acquired Cisco Information Server, thus entering the data virtualization market.
We think all these data points are significant indicators that the data virtualization market is a healthy, growing market that is reaching maturity.
Data Virtualization Poised for Further Growth Pushed Forward by Leaders
Forrester expects the data virtualization market to grow further “because more enterprise architecture (EA) professionals see data virtualization as critical to their enterprise data strategy.” It says that these EA Pros are looking to support more complex data virtualization deployments. To satisfy such needs, the leaders featured in the report, like Denodo, provide high-end scale, security, modeling, and broad use case support with their mature product offerings. “The leaders we identified offer large and complex deployments, and they support a broader set of use cases and more mature data management capabilities,” Forrester says. It finds that Denodo is executing well on its vision to support more sources and to deliver higher throughput, scale, and performance for even more complex real-time analytics. It is worth noting that four of the past five leaders retained their Leaders positions, while one vendor slipped into the Strong Performers.
Read the Complete Report
The Forrester Wave: Enterprise Data Virtualization, Q4 2017 is a must read for enterprise architecture (EA) professionals. According to Forrester, “Enterprise data virtualization has become critical to every organization in overcoming growing data challenges. These platforms deliver faster access to connected data and support self-service and agile data-access capabilities for EA pros to drive new business initiatives.”
You can read the complete report here.
- Key Insights from Three Cloud Experts Roundtables: Accelerate Hybrid Cloud Journey, Harness Cloud Best Practices, and Simplify Data Management - September 30, 2020
- A CIO’s Guide: How to survive tough economic times through IT Portfolio Rationalization - September 9, 2020
- Unified Semantic Layers, Unifying Business and IT - August 6, 2020